Within the context of the artbot lab, the success of the project is to be found in the aesthetic of the drawings created. In other words, producing a functional drawing robot is not the end point but rather the starting point of the artbot project.
The success of the project is to be found in:
- What kinds of drawings the artbot will draw,
- How those drawings are already to be found within the material/mechanical/software design of the artbot,
- How the artbot critically engages with certain cultural practices (such as, perhaps, the act of creativity through producing drawings).
How to go about doing this?
- Be very wary of tacit preconceptions (especially the design of previous robots).
- Make as much as conceive.
- During the making, stay open to the ‘speaking’ of the materials.
- Stay open to the serendipitous accidents that provide you with ‘vectors’ in unexpected directions,
- Be willing to ‘let go’ of your conception, when something more interesting arises.